MANUAL LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE (MLD) is an advanced therapy specifically for animals, perfected by Gordon Farmer. It is a therapy in which the practitioner uses a range of specialised and very gentle rhythmic massage pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction of the lymphatic flow. This in turn stimulates the lymphatic vessels and glands which carry vital substances for the defence of the body and helps to remove waste and toxic materials.
All lymphatic problems need to be identified through careful diagnosis and consultation.
The major benefits of Manual Lymphatic Drainage are:
- Prevention and remedial enhancement for your horse’s well-
- Deeply relaxing for the horse because of the close interaction between the therapist and the animal.
- Helps to promote the healing of fractures, torn ligaments, sprains, deep muscle problems and also reduces the pain caused by such problems.
- Can improve many chronic conditions.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Relieves fluid congestion, swollen fetlocks and filled legs.
- Has a major effect on the treatment and control of lymph oedema and assists in conditions arising from venous insufficiency.
- Promotes healing of wounds and improves hair growth over old scars
- Reduces or minimises retention of lactic acid.
All of the above can be achieved on your own horse with expert tuition which is available from Gordon Farmer. Throughout the UK there are many equine ‘therapists’ who claim to understand this particular therapy, but unfortunately, many of them barely know horses and their needs. Some of them simply use it as a way of earning extra income to their existing practices.
As a rider you get to know your horse particularly well, so an MLD needs to be a living experience. You explore through the fingertips the painful areas as they either spasm or tense. It is not purely an action of massage but a way of therapeutic communication wherein you establish a feeling between a damaged muscle or an area in pain with your fingers, detecting precisely the location and subsequently removing the cause of the pain.
“IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO IMPROVE OR HEAL WITH YOUR HANDS
IF THE NEED TO COMFORT IS NOT PRESENT”
Comfort and healing require total concentration in the box, while any painful or sensitive areas or points are being searched for. Your horse will reveal to you, through its reactions or movements where the ’cause’ of pain originates.
There are many different levels of stress or tension. Some will disappear immediately; some may take a day or two following exercise to disappear. Due to the size, bulk and weight of the horse, first pressures need to be powerful and deep.
If you have the desire to learn MLD for the benefit of your horse or horses, contact Gordon and talk with him and perhaps arrange the first step to you being able to remedy many of the problems that your horse can suffer.